Monday, November 22, 2010

Five Fingers

I don't know about you, but I think turning five is a big deal. Not just for the child, but for the parents as well. Don't get me wrong, every year that our precious pretties are with us needs to be celebrated, but birthday #5 is like a right of passage of some sort. When a child turns five, they are finally able to proudly hold up all the fingers on one hand to display their age. That's a big deal for them! Five is typically when children start learning how to spell, read, do basic math, learn how to ride a bike without training wheels, & master the art of tying their shoes. Not only does each finger on that high five represent every year that precious & pretty year that the child has unknowingly blessed us with, but they also represent some of the big milestones that child will accomplish this upcoming year. The five fingers are also a big deal for the parents, especially if the child that is turning five is your first-born. Each finger represents the yearly anniversary of being a parent. I look at those fingers on Kate's hands and wonder if I have been the best mom to her. If I have taught her enough about our Christian faith, love, kindness, generosity, and forgiveness.....

Those five fingers also represent everything our children have taught us. Since becoming a mom, I have learned to be more selfless & less selfish. Patience was not a virtue I was blessed with in my younger years, but I possess it now. I have learned to forgive & forget. Have you ever noticed how quickly a child does that? I have learned to embrace the little things & I honestly try not to take anything for granted. LOVE. My heart swells with so much love for my two precious pretties that sometimes I think it is going to burst. Yet I am humbly reminded that all the love I have for my husband, my children, my family & friends is nothing in comparison to the love that God & His only Son has for all of us.
Kate was excited, yet nervous, about turning five yesterday. I had to go to a fundraiser at her school Saturday night, and before I left she asked me if she was going to feel anything when she turned five. I guess my Precious Pretty #1 thought she was going to feel something like a pinch or a tickle when the clock struck midnight on November 21st. She, of course, was sound asleep and didn't feel anything at that hour. I felt a lot though, of course, & was overcome with emotion all weekend. I found myself sneaking off from the girls & shedding a few tears (of joy) when they were busy playing and I didn't want them to think mommy was sad. My phone was "blowing up" from my precious family & friends calling & texting Kate to wish her Happy Birthday. It got to the point that when the phone would ring Kate would smile & ask if it was for her again. ;)
We went shopping yesterday morning & then spent the afternoon getting ready for her art party. A fun time was had by all!!


















Kate & friends getting ready to paint!





Some of her friends from St. Mary's.





Bailey admiring the art gallery we made on the sidewalk to allow the paintings to dry. I made a personalized sketch book (made out of a composition notebook, a couple of post cards & a gluestick) and coupled it with watercolors & crayons. I put the gift bags above the paintings on the sidewalk so we would know who the artist was for each painting.







having fun afterwards at dinner with the Boatners!

I hope Kate felt all of the love, kindness, & generosity that was running ranpid around us yesterday. I sure did. Thank you, Ann Katherine (& Mary Clare), for being my precious pretties. You two are a constant reminder of how precious & how pretty life is. Mommy loves you to outerspace & back.

blessings,
sf

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

The Aboussies said...

happy birthday kate! xoxo