Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dinner is done!

I think the Crockpot has to be one of the greatest inventions ever.  For reals.  I want to find that blogger that cooked with a crockpot every day for a year because I am seriously considering it.  I LOVE putting together dinner in the Crockpot at breakfast because I know in about 8-9 hours dinner will ready, and I won't have to do anything but have the pretties set the table for dinner.  And maybe open up a salad in a bag for extra veggies.  Dinner is done & mamasita can take it easy.

A sweet friend of mine has been cooking with a lot of Weight Watcher friendly recipes, and this one caught my eye.  I love easy chicken recipes.  I LOVE easy chicken recipes that have the word Crockpot in them even more.  So, thanks Kathleen!

The first time I made this my pretties thought it was too spicy.  They ate it, but they sure let me know how spicy it was between bites.  Bottom line is they ate it!  :)
So this time around I cut down on the cayenne pepper and cumin, and added a little extra garlic.  You can never have too much garlic, right?

Ruba dub-dub, Enjoy the grub!!  

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken 
Servings: 8 servings • Size: 1 cup • Prep Time: 5 minutes • Points: 3 ww points
Calories: 171.9 • Fat: 1.6g • Fiber: 3.8g 

24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast
14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
15 oz can black beans
8 oz frozen corn
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
3 scallions, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
salt to taste

Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning. Serve over rice (extra pts). 

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Sounds good! I love the new blog design. Super cute!