Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Skechers Shoe Shopping Extravaganza

I don't know if Extravaganza is the right word to use. How about Skechers-Shoe-Shopping-Beat Down? Yeah - that is more like it. When I picked up the girls on Monday I decided that we needed to get more tennis shoes for the girls to wear to school. PLUS, the school doesn't like the kids to wear sandals or flip flops because they aren't the safest to run and play in - especially in the gravel park! So, it was off to the store! Apparently 90% of the girls at SLP wear Skechers and I was completely unaware of this. I didn't think brands really mattered to pre-k kids. Boy was I wrong. When I told Kate and Mary Clare where we were going Kate got REALLY excited and asked if I would let her pick out Skechers. Sure........I thought it was going to be a one stop shop. think again Mrs. Foley.

Well, store #1 didn't sell Skechers. When I asked the cashier if they had any she looked at me like I was an idiot. I am an idiot. Don't ask me why I thought Ross would have Skechers. Nevertheless, I made my yearly quick trip into Ross. See ya in 2011! The girls and I walked next door to Shoe Carnival and BOY did they have some Skechers! They had so many Skechers that we were in there for 40 minutes looking at them. JUST LOOKING! Yes, they were just confined to one aisle, but Kate went and studied each shoe. Seriously.

I got really excited when I saw the shoe below. Me - "Wow Kate- these are so girly and pink, and sparkly and don't have any skulls or crossbones! Want to try these on?" After a second hand glance Kate said no. Desperate to get home to my roast in the crock pot I begged her to look at them again. "Please sweet heart, Mommy loves these and I know Grammy will too." (Yes - I pulled the Grammy card.) K - "No thank you." ME - "You know what Kate? I bet you your cousins Hannah and Georgia would think these are super duper cool!!!" I guess at this point she figured out what I was doing, and her reply was, "No mother. Kateri, Amy, and so&so (I forgot the girl's name) have those already and I don't want them." Me - "Is there a new girl named Amy in your class?" K-"No - Amy is Mary Clare's best friend. I see a pair I like mommy but can we go to another Skechers store?" My first thought was "No" because of the pot roast, but she showed me the pair she wanted and without hesitation I told her we could go look at another store. MC needed a new pair of shoes as well, and Shoe Carnival didn't have anything in her size. SSSOO....off to Kohl's. By this time Tim had already met us and he graciously took Mary Clare home & he said he would take care of on my roast. YEAH!

I never go to Kohl's. But I have gone twice this week now and it is starting to grow on me! The Skechers selection at Kohl's was not appealing to Kate, but I did get a FABULOUS deal on some Adidas shoes for Mary Clare. This also meant though that we were going back to the Shoe Carnival to get the Skechers Kate wanted. Should I attempt to persuade her into the other shoes? No - because by this time it was already 7:00 and I was READY to get to the casa. SO the shoes below are the ones she picked out. They were not my first choice. Not my last choice, but close to it.






They are white, and thick, bulky, and white. I like colored shoes on my girls just because they stay, or at least look like, they are in better shape than white ones that get dirty you wear them. I don't think I own a white pair of shoes besides the white heels I wore on my wedding day. BUT - One hour and forty minutes later, I have one elated precious little girl who is ecstatic about her new shoes, and that precious little girl has one exhausted mommy. My mind started drifting off years ahead and she is a tween. Over a hour and a half for a pair of shoes when she is four? What is going to be when she is 10? 13? 16?
When we got home and she was proudly showing her shoes to her sissy and daddy I asked her why she picked those. Her reply was: "Mommy - That is why I had to look at each Skecher to see if anyone at my school had them. No one else at my school wears these." Ay-Yi-Yi.

3 comments:

Casey and Kimberly said...

Sounds very very familar!!! Pretty much same story for us....hahah We He was even willing to get the wrong size becuase that is all they had. I also blogged about the story to funny not to share. :)

Amanda said...

That is TOO funny! It's good for building independence though right?! ;) I have already had a slightly similar experience with Sadie. I need to blog about it. Who knew that a 2 year old would already be a handful at the shoe store and want to try on every pair of (ugly no less) shoe they had and then pitch a fit b/c we weren't buying one of those pairs of shoes. Ahhh! At least she doesn't understand completely yet and is still just as happy when we get home and she has *new* shoes to wear all over the house. GIRLS! ;)

The Hinkles said...

John talks about skechers too, I didn't know they were so popular! But, Whitley will give us more fits over what she wears, it's a girl thing!! Such Divas!