Friday, March 26, 2010

Soccer Sensations

I didn't see myself ever being a soccer mom. I played one year of soccer in elementary school, and I was absolutely horrible at it. DREADFULLY HORRIBLE. So I figured my children would be ballerinas, tennis players, possibly basketball players - but not soccer players. That may have changed when we moved to Tanglewood a few years ago. Kate's BF Kateri lives right next door to us, and her dad happens to be a high school girls soccer coach. A really good soccer coach at that. So - like any other day, Kate asked if Kateri could come over and play like she does everyday when I pick her up from school. I thought that she wanted her to come over and play with their babies, but Kate had something else in mind. As soon as we pulled into the driveway she picked up her soccer ball from the garage and darted across the yard to Kateri's house. She wasn't home, but her daddy was and his eyes lit up when he saw Kate with the soccer ball in her hand. He came outside and played with Kate (or "practiced" as Kate called it) while we waited for Kateri and her mom. I was speechless. My daughter has skills. I don't have skills - but my daughter does. Everything he told her to do she did, and he kept commenting on what a great job she was doing. Now, she did try to kick the ball once with all her might and missed. It was pretty cute and pretty funny because it reminded me of myseldf when I was a kid. What would you call that? An "air leg" since she completely missed the ball?

Mary Clare enjoyed watching from the sidelines......


....until she decided that she wanted to play! My baby has skills too! Kateri got home and they played soccer until it got dark.


For some reason, Kate is really into soccer right now and I don't know if it is because she is crazy about her cousin Patrick and she wants to play like him or what. All I know is that I see some early Saturday mornings at the soccer field in my near future.




1 comment:

Theresa said...

That's great! What a nice guy!

I HATE soccer. We can hang out together on the sidelines.